The Akshardham Temple is located near the border of Noida and Delhi. More formally known as Swaminarayan Akshardham, it is famous for multiple idols of deities such as Sita-Rama, Radha-Krishna, Swaminarayan, Lakshmi-Narayan, and Shiva-Parvati. It is a modern Hindu temple with exquisite architecture. So, for your next vacation, book an Ahmedabad to Delhi flight to visit this temple.
The main attraction of the complex is the Mandir, designed by BAPS Swamis and a member of the Suparno family, Virendra Trivedi. The temple is beautifully carved with fauna, flora, musicians, and deities. It stands as high as 141 feet, and is 356 feet wide.
The central dome has a murti of Swaminarayan, seated in abhayamudra. This statue is 11 feet high. Akshardham was born from a vision by Yogiji Maharaj who at that time was the spiritual head of the sect. His successor, Pramukh Swami Maharaj, started to fulfill the dream of Yogiji Maharaj, his guru.
The complex also has a water show, thematic garden, exhibitions, and an IMAX film based on the early life of Swaminarayan. So, a tour of this temple is a great way to spend the day. Board a Bengaluru to Delhi flight with friends or family to experience all that this temple has to offer.
Things to See After Entering the Temple Premises
- As per Indian culture, there are ten principal directions, which, in the temple, are represented by ten gates. You should not miss these.
- The next thing you must see is the “Gate of Devotion” or “Bhakti Dwar,” where you will see 208 dual-forms of God, sculpted artistically. This will most definitely leave you in awe of the structure.
- A film at the IMAX theatre is aired every day on the life of an 11-year-old child, who is a yogi, who went on an all-India tour. This show is called the “Neelkanth Darshan.”
- Laser, fire, lights and fountains – A majestic water show is also put up in the temple premises. This is one of the most memorable things to see here and will stay with you for a long time to come. You can enquire about it at Akshardham by asking about the “Yagnapurush Kund and Sahaj Kund.”
- Another thing that everyone visiting this temple for the first time should not miss is the Central Dome. It stands about 141feet high, with 9 domes and about 20,000 sculpted figures of various Indian gods.
- A gold-plated, 11-foot-high statue of Bhagwan Swami Narayanan also stands on the premises.
- Akshardham Mandir also offers a 15-minute boat ride. It shows you the different Indian cultures that flourished on the banks the Saraswati River in ancient times.
- The Narayan Sarovar has the holy waters of rivers, lakes and step wells that were visited by Bhagwan Swaminarayan through the 108 Gaumukhs that surround Akshardham.
Don’t carry too many things while visiting the temple, as most items are restricted. Just bring some cash to get refreshments when inside the premises. And, remember to take some prasad home with you on your New Delhi to Pune flight.